This project is funded by a grant from Asia Society/Longview Foundation.
Purpose: Implement second major public engagement event; provide
linkages to professional development; assess states’ needs in policy and
economic areas with regard to International Ed § Stage one-day Summit in
conjunction with NAFSA Regional Conference in Olympia, WA (the state
Timeframe: October 27, 2004
- Include in-depth professional development workshops on
International Ed for teachers of Social Studies and World Languages
- Develop targeted communication piece for the public (parents,
community, policymakers) to increase awareness of International Ed and
inspire support for it
- Involve community organizations and businesses in a Resource Fair
to share resources and real-world perspectives with the education
- Hold Candidate Forum to allow candidates to share their
perspectives on International Ed
- Aysha Haq, Project Manager for 2004 P-20 International Education
- David LaForest, Director of Development, Associates in Cultural
- David Woodward, Executive Director of Associates in Cultural
- Loretta Ferguson, Special Ed Teacher and Intercultural
- Michele Anciaux
Aoki, International Communications Consultant, 2002 and 2003 State
Team Member and Project Director for 2003 P-20 International Education
Summit (now Director of Educational Programs, World Affairs Council
Status as of: 2/28/2005 |
11/12/2004 | 9/3/2004 |
8/13/2004 | 6/10/2004 |
Note: For regular updates, see
Summit > 2004 > Planning.
- The Summit was held on October 27, 2004 and attracted over 200
participants, including 35+ in the Resource Fair. Summit reports
- The Candidates Forum was not held due to the close timing before
the election. However, we did invite candidates to attend.
- Additional planning meetings were held in August. The schedule is
just about set.
- Resource Fair registration form is available and a number of
organizations have already signed on.
- Summit Flyer will be distributed to 1900 teachers through the
Global Classroom Newsletter mailing by the World Affairs Council
- Second planning session held on April 28. See:
- Masaru Kibukawa and Nancy Bacon have agreed to co-chair the
committee to organized the Candidates' Forum.
- Initial planning meetings held with NAFSA (Association of
International Educators) to confirm their co-sponsorship of the event.
Planning Meeting 4/9/2004.
back to top